Monday, October 17, 2011

Arnie Palmer Alert

I've always considered myself a sports guy. Growing up I played baseball, soccer, and basketball. I always participated in gym class, playing football, floor hockey and even more basketball. But there was one sport that I never played.

Golf.

I just never got into it. I tried watching it on TV with my uncle one time and I was out cold. Watching a movie like Happy Gilmore made golf better, but it was just a movie. There were no players that acted like Adam Sandler, throwing his golf club, starting fights with the other players or swearing up a storm when the golf ball didn't go in the hole. I enjoyed playing mini-golf or golf on PlayStation or Wii, but there were things to entertain me while I was playing.

But that all changed this past weekend. For the first time ever, I played real golf. I went with three of my friends, all of who played golf before. My two friends, Craig and Jon, looked like pros compared to me. They have their own set of golf clubs and try to go as much as they can while the good weather is around. Craig's fiancĂ©e, Lee-Ann, hadn't played in over a year, which I was very grateful for. I could tell she was rusty because she kept showing signs of greatness. If this was a movie, Lee-Ann would of filled the semi-pro role. Where I would of fit in would of been the role of Happy Gilmore type of character, just with no skill, but all of the swearing.

I was good at driving the carts around, but the actual hitting the ball, not so much. My buddies gave me pointers as much as possible. But like they said, the only way to get better was to keep on playing and doing it more than once. By the end of the day, I was doing a little better than when I started. But will I keep playing, I am not sure, but I could practice on PlayStation.

No comments:

Post a Comment